You may decide to change your email account settings from POP to IMAP or vice versa or you may not be sure what the difference between the two is. Which one should you choose may depend on your circumstances and the following benefits may help you decide.
Choose POP if…
- You would normally access your email from only one single device.
- You need continual access to your email, regardless of whether you have internet availability.
- Your server storage space is limited and you would like to delete each email once you've downloaded it.
Choose IMAP if…
- You prefer a secure SSL connection.
- You would like to access your email on multiple different devices.
- Internet availability isn't a problem and you have continual access to your email.
- You would prefer quick overview of new emails or emails.
- You prefer to keep a copy of your emails backed up on your server.
Our 'Email Setup' section contains all of the information needed to create an email account either in POP or IMAP. This includes guides for:
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Windows Live Mail
- Outlook Live Connected Accounts
- Mac Mail
- iPhone for Email Access
- Android for Email Access
- BlackBerry for Email Access
Please understand that if you are creating a new account, discontinue using the old email account or remove it completely where it was previously setup on.