Whether you’re new to digital marketing, or you’ve been building a reputation for your business for some time now, the chances are that you’ve heard the phrase “content is king.” This saying relates to the concept of “content marketing,” and how valuable it can be when it comes to building relationships with your target audience and driving sales.
So, what is content marketing, and what does it mean to your business?
What is Content Marketing?
Traditional marketing, or outbound marketing, was a kind of advertising that involved reaching out to your customers through sales calls and direct mail ads to get their attention. Content marketing takes a different approach, by allowing companies to reap the benefits of “inbound” marketing. With inbound marketing strategies like content, you attract people to your brand by providing them with useful content. When your customers read that content, they’re convince to buy your products because they see the value of what you’re selling, or because they start to trust your brand.
In simple terms, content marketing is a strategic approach to promotion that relies on distributing consistent and relevant content to your customers in many different forms. Content can come in the form of blog posts, podcasts, videos, and so much more.
Why is Content Marketing Valuable?
Essentially, content marketing means that instead of constantly pitching your products and services to your customers, you provide them with useful information and entertainment that helps them to build a relationship with your business. Once that relationship has been established, it’s much easier to convince your customers to buy from you and keep buying from you in the future.
Most of the biggest companies in the world rely on content marketing to connect with their customers. According to advertising experts, content is the past, present, and future of the advertising world. It’s more than just a way to gain visibility in the search engines through the use of keywords and phrases. Every piece of content you publish improves your chances of increased sales, loyal customers, and a better reputation for your business.
The Benefits of Content Marketing
The most commonly cited benefit of content marketing relates to it’s potential in SEO. When you publish content like blogs and articles, you can infuse them with keywords that improve your chances of appearing at the top of the results pages on search engines like Google. However, there’s more to content marketing than a boost in organic traffic. Other benefits include:
- Greater domain authority: The more high-quality content you create, the more your site will be perceived as an authority in its industry. As you begin to gain a reputation as a thought-leader, your customers will trust you more, and the search engines will reward you too. After all, a high domain authority correlates with better search rankings.
- More referral and word-of-mouth traffic: When you’re producing relevant and engaging content for your target audience, you’re encouraging them to share that content with their friends and family. Some content even goes viral, leading to huge increases in traffic for companies practically overnight. A single blog post could earn you thousands of new visitors and conversions.
- Better conversions: With content, you can engage, inform and deliver value to your readers. This could mean that they feel more informed and capable of investing in your products or could simply lead to a purchase based on the fact that your customers feel comfortable with your brand and what you stand for.
- Better brand awareness: Because content helps you to rank in the search engine for specific keywords and search terms, it also improves your chances of being found by a wider range of consumers. With the right selection of content, you can attract customers from all over the world, and develop better awareness for your brand. This is particularly true if you use multiple forms of content like guest posting, social media, and video marketing too!
- Stronger customer relationships: The more your customers see that you’re willing to spend time and effort on creating fantastic content for them, the more likely they are to appreciate your business and what it stands for. Content marketing can increase the loyalty that your prospects feel towards your brand. In fact, in some circumstances, your content marketing could even help to turn clients into advocates for your brand. These advocates will then send you new business in the form of referrals and recommendations scattered across the internet.