Withbeing automatically installed on our WordPress packages, we though we should give you some important steps in how to secure .
There are a few factors that make enormous popularity across the web.vulnerable to attack, but the main reason it is vulnerable is due to its
Every dayis installed hundreds of times and the differences in environments is unfathomable. Here at FreshSites we manage that software and keep it up to date with the latest security fixes, but the underlying code, including any code can be liable to be hacked, due to its popularity.
You may wonder what hackers might do when they find athat they can breach, and in reality they can do anything their imagination creates, but mainly:
- Executing code
- Creating hidden links to improve
- Redirecting visitors to other sites which have adverts on to make money
- Installing a backdoor so if the hole is fixed they can still get in.
But its not justthat suffer from , all web software is targeted. The one good thing with is that its open , so many many developers can find and fix within seconds, release changes and lets you know there is an update.
10 Steps to Secure Your WordPress Site
- Keep your WordPress installation up to date, and make sure you install the new version as soon as the update manager offers it.
- Keep your and updated in the same way, and if you deactivate any , make sure you remove them.
- Never install and plguins from an untrusted , read about a and look for reviews.
- Create regular backups of your site, including your database.
- Create a new user and give them publisher status, then always use this account to post any news items, never put your admin account name on your blog
- Create a unique password for your account including uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols. There are many tools to help you do this including https://www.random.org/passwords/
- Install a login attempt limiting Limit Login Attempts , such as
- Install WordPress File Monitor Plus, so you can be notified of any file changes on your site. This will help you discover any hacks done to files.
- Use Better WP to lock down your WordPress .
- Make sure your company keeps software up to date, like us!
These tips are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to securing your WordPress installation. You have to remember there is no such thing as a 100% secure site, there is always something you can do.
One last thing, make sure your computer is, malware and spyware free – people can log your password when you type it in so its an important step to make.
What Tips Do You Have?
What have you done to secure? Had a security breach that lead you to any additional security steps? Let us know in the comments section!